- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Continuing with the fallout from the Tony Stewart incident this past Saturday, the Ontario County Sheriff’s department announced on Monday that they have found nothing to support any criminal act by Stewart when he struck fellow sprintcar driver Kevin Ward Jr.
“There are no facts that exist that support any criminal behavior,” the Sheriff's department said in a statement regarding Stewart's on-track collision with Ward at Canandaigua, New York Motorsports Park, according to CBS Sports. Although they are searching for more evidence, the team has only two videos of the accident at this time, according to Sheriff Philip Povero.
Ward died that night of “massive blunt trauma,” according to the county coroner.
Although the statement released Monday may have led some to believe the investigation is over, Povero said it is still ongoing. "This is an ongoing investigation, and all options remain available. We're continuing to gather and analyze every piece of evidence we can,” he said, reports The Wire.
"There aren’t words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr," Stewart said in a statement Sunday. "It’s a very emotional time for all involved, and it is the reason I’ve decided not to participate in today’s race at Watkins Glen. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and everyone affected by this tragedy."
Stewart’s nickname is “Smoke” and he is infamous for his hot-tempered ways and past-altercations with fellow drivers. Despite the inability to determine intent in this situation, it will surely hurt his multi-million dollar racing business which had been soaring lately.
For now, Stewart will remain sidelined from his day job with NASCAR. He has already decided to sit out this coming Saturday in Indiana and is undecided about whether he’ll race at Michigan International Speedway the week after.
image courtesy of R. O'Neil/INFphoto.com