- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
The man who shot and killed iconic recording artist John Lennon has been denied parole again.
According to the New York Daily News, Mark David Chapman has been denied parole for the eighth time by the New York State Parole Board. At the now 59-year-old’s hearing the three-person board said, “the panel has determined that if released at this time, there is a reasonable probability that you would not live and remain at liberty without again violating the law.”
New York Corrections officials said that the hearing was on Wednesday and the board announced its decision on Friday. Bloomberg News reported that the panel showed little hesitation to deny the accused killer parole yet again.
“You stalked and waited for your victim and thereafter shot him multiple times causing his death,” the board said in the ruling. “The victim had displayed kindness to you earlier in the day and your actions have devastated a family.”
On Dec. 8, 1980 Chapman, then 25, shot Lennon outside his Manhattan apartment building, hitting the former Beatle four times in front of his wife, Yoko Ono and others. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Chapman plead guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 20 years to life behind bars in 1981. He will be eligible for parole again in 2016.