- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
The Miami Dolphins made sure they were one running back closer to a full roster when they activated former Denver Bronco Knowshon Moreno from the physically unable to perform list Wednesday.
The former Georgia star had knee surgery after mini-camp, and he says he’s recovered pretty nicely from the procedure.
"Today was testing it out and seeing how it feels," Moreno told ESPN.com. "I feel good… Now, the next couple of days I'll just progress and do more and more each day.”
Moreno, who recorded the first 1,000-yard season of his pro career last year, averaged 4.1 yards per carry for the Broncos the last 5 years per stats from Pro-Football-Reference.com. He’ll compete with incumbents Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller, both of whom struggled to carry Miami’s rushing load last season, rushing for 3.7 and 4 yards per carry, respectively.
Although early reports are that Miller is firmly ahead of Moreno at the moment, the aforementioned facts lend credence to the belief that Moreno will be the team’s starter when they open the season at home of against the division rival New England Patriots.
Moreno might find running room significantly more difficult to come by, Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin, both starters on the offensive line last year, are no longer with the team in the wake of the bullying scandal that haunted the Dolphins during a substantial part of their season. Either way, barring an injury setback, Moreno is certain to be out there against the Patriots. In just what capacity remains to be seen.