- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
A shooting in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans on Sunday night left two people dead and five others injured, three of them children.
A woman, a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old were left in critical condition, a 13-year-old and a 37-year-old in stable condition. The two pronounced dead were a man appearing to be in his late twenties and an 18-year-old woman, reported USA Today.
Witnesses described the shooting as a drive-by which started when someone began shooting at a group of people gathered in front of a house, several being on the porch. Police spokesman Frank Robertson did not release any other details or motives for the shooting.
A vehicle described as dark-colored, and possibly a Honda Accord, fled the scene after the shooting. Witnesses also said that African-American males were inside.
Another unrelated shooting occurred earlier in the morning. A 20-year-old man was in a three-hour standoff with police after he shot a friend inside a hotel room. The standoff ended when the man, who was said to be under the influence of an unknown substance, committed suicide, reported the Associated Press. The "friend" that was shot is in stable condition.
The Lower Ninth is less than five miles from the French Quarter, a tourist district.