Tony Stewart will not race after accident kills fellow driver

By Michelle Kapusta,

NASCAR driver Tony Stewart struck and killed another driver at a New York speed track on Saturday and will not compete in Sunday's race.

According to CNN, authorities have said that the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion hit Kevin Ward Jr. at the Empire Super Sprint series event on the Canandaigua Motorsports Park. The 20-year-old died from his injuries.

Video of the incident shows that Ward appeared to try and confront Stewart after his vehicle was hit and walked into the racing lane before being struck by Stewart.

Police said that Stewart cooperated with investigators, was questioned and released.

"Stewart has fully cooperated," said Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero. "He acknowledges the collision with the driver."

Just hours after the tragedy, a NASCAR spokesman said that Stewart would compete in Sunday’s event, however, the 43-year-old driver has decided not to race.

The Canandaigua track had previously held another bad memory for the racer. In 2013, he was involved in an accident that seriously injured a 19-year-old driver.

Fun Stuff

 
 

Join Our Newsletter

Popular Threads