- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Doctors caring for 81-year-old Joan Rivers began to pull her out of a medically induced coma on Aug. 31 at Mount Sinai Hospital. Amidst Rivers' hopeful recovery, Melissa Rivers is considering taking legal action over the procedure that caused the her mother and Fashion Police host to stop breathing.
Doctors are waiting to see how Rivers will respond after lifting her from the medically induced coma, reports New York Daily News.
"The waking up process has begun and will take until Tuesday, a source close to the family told the Daily News. "There is real concern that the part of the brain that controls motor skills may have been compromised, leaving her as either a vegetable or in a wheelchair."
All of Rivers' health decisions will be made by Melissa Rivers, according to Hollywood Life. Rivers is allegedly considering filing a lawsuit against Yorkville Endoscopy, where Rivers had a routine throat procedure to fix her vocal cords. During the surgery, Rivers went into cardiac and respiratory arrest, as we previously reported.
"The night before, she was performing and now she is on life support,” the source continued to the Daily News. “An 81-year-old should not have that procedure as an outpatient. Very ill advised.”
For now, Melissa Rivers is focused on her mother's recovery and continues to ask people for their support, and to keep her in thoughts and prayers. The Twitter community has already shown the family a great amount of support.
"We are keeping our fingers crossed," Melissa said in a statement.
Image via ACE/INFPhoto.com