- Special Features
- Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Princess Diana was a fashion icon. Her clothes have toured the world and still inspire fashionistas to this day. Today would have been the late Princess Diana’s 50th birthday. In honor of her and her timeless style, let’s take a look back at ten of Diana’s most iconic outfits.
1. Her wedding dress. Designed by Elizabeth Emanuel, Diana’s dress was painstakingly kept secret until the bride emerged from her carriage on her wedding day. The 25-foot train set the record for longest train at the time and flowed behind her as she walked down the aisle at St. Paul’s Cathedral in 1981.
2. The John Travolta dress. One of Diana’s dreams was to dance with John Travolta, popular at the time for Saturday Night Fever. During a White House state dinner in November 1985, Diana wore a midnight blue ball gown by Victor Edelstein, styled with a pearl chocker, while dancing with the actor. Check out what Travolta had to say about Diana below.
5. Wellies and a sweater. Just months before getting married, Diana and Charles took a stroll around the grounds at Balmoral Castle. Before she was a Princess, Diana was a kindergarten teacher. This look shows that under all the glitz was just a simple, lovely girl.
7. The blue engagement dress. Just after announcing her engagement to Prince Charles, Diana wore a flattering blue suit to match her now famous blue sapphire ring. Years later, Kate Middleton would follow her lead and wear sapphire blue with the same ring.
10. Her Red Cross vest. Diana’s passion was helping those in need. While she loved a good ball gown as much as the next girl, The People’s Princess loved visiting Africa and working with charities there. Her love of philanthropy has been passed down to her sons, William and Harry. They work with many charities, both in their mother’s name and their own.