- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Twitter has released a list of the network’s top trends for the first half of 2011 and everyone’s favorite singer, Rebecca Black, tops them all.
According to Twitter, users are sending over 200 million tweets per day. In January 2009, users sent 2 million tweets a day. One year ago, users posted 65 million tweets a day.
Twitter has been growing profoundly since it first launched in 2006. With such an astounding growth, the company has released two lists of Trending Topics for the first half of 2011. They’re separated into the two most popular categories: World events/News and Pop culture.
1. AH1N1 - Swine Flu
2. Mubarak - former Egyptian President
3. Easter - Christian holiday
4. Cairo - capital of Egypt
5. #prayforjapan - sentiment following the March earthquake and tsunami
6. Chernobyl - site of nuclear disaster in 1986
7. Libia/Libya - site of an ongoing civil war
8. Fukushima - Japanese nuclear power plant
9. William & Kate - Newly-named Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
10. Gadafi - Libyan political leader
1. Rebecca Black - pop singer
2. Femme Fatale - newly-released Britney Spears album
3. Charlie Sheen - actor
4. #tigerblood - hashtag popularized by Charlie Sheen
5. Nate Dogg - rapper
6. Anderson Silva - Brazilian mixed martial artist
7. Tom & Jerry - famous cartoon
8. Mumford & Sons - British rock band
9. Bieber alert - referring to artist Justin Bieber
10. Queen Gaga - referring to artist Lady Gaga
What are some trends that you’re surprised to see on the list? Are there any you’re surprised didn’t make the list?