- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
The Press Association reports that after a controversial response to Ricky Gervais’ digs at the Golden Globes on Sunday while hosting, the British comic is defending himself.
Gervais was accused of going too far during his second consecutive hosting job, while A-listers clenched their fists in the crowd. Robert Downey Jr. even made a remark about the nature of the jokes.
The 49-year-old said, “I enjoyed the Globes more this year. I think I had better gags. More along the lines of the Mel Gibson one last year (when Gervais made a jibe about the film star's drinking)."
Just as the Hollywood Foreign Press Association president cleared up Monday, Gervais said, "Obviously the rumor that the organizers stopped me going out on stage for an hour is rubbish."
He went on to say, "I did every link I was scheduled to do. The reason why the gaps were uneven is because when I got the rundown I was allowed to choose who I presented to.
"I obviously chose the spots that I had the best gags for. They couldn't move around the order but I could move around however I wanted."
Gervais concluded, "All the same conspiracy theories as last year too ... 'so and so was offended' ... 'hasn't been invited back yet' ... exactly the same as last time. 'Paul McCartney was furious' ... no he wasn't. And nor was Tim Allen and Tom Hanks. I was drinking with them after."