On Thursday, the Nigerian Military withdrew a report that claimed most of the 129 school girls suspected to have been abducted by Boko Haram militants had been released.
According to Nigeria’s Osun Defender news website, spokesperson for the Defense Headquarters, Chris Olukolade, had initially said 107 of the girls were freed in addition to the 14 that escaped from the abductors.
However, Olukolade’s statement was retracted after a parent of an abducted girl said the claim was false. The school’s principal and other officials also challenged the claim and said that the majority of the girls were still missing.
CNN noted that the military said Olukolade’s initial report was "not intended to deceive the public."
The female students of the Government Girls’ Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, were abducted on Monday. Some of the girls fled their capturers when a truck they were in stopped for repairs, but it is not known at this time how many are still missing.
UNICEF has called for the girls' "immediate release" and said that the attacks on Nigerian schools are out of control.