It's been almost one year since Prince was found unconscious and pronounced dead in his Paisely Park home and while we know that he died of an opioid overdose, we are now learning that his addiction was likely greater than anyone knew.
Many were shocked to hear that the legendary entertainer had an addiction to painkillers and now newly unsealed courts documents are painting an even more horrible picture about Prince's dependency on his medication.
CNN reported that prescribed pills were found all over Prince's estate, however, none of those prescriptions were in the late singer's name. Many were instead prescribed under the name Kirk Johnson, who was Prince's former bandmate and friend. Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg said that prescriptions were written in Johnson's name to protect Prince's privacy.
USA Today noted that these drugs were found in pill bottles in the "Purple Rain" artist's dressing room and mirror room. Moreover, 100 white capsules labeled “Watson 853,” which is an acetaminophen and hydrocodone combo, were found in Aleve and Bayer pill bottles in several other areas of the house including in Prince's bedroom, laundry room and even in his wardrobe. There was also a bottle labeled "Vitamin D" found, which contained ondansetron hydrochloride.
Dr. Schulenberg is cooperating with officials and hopefully this investigation will give some more insight into what happened in the hours preceding Prince's untimely death on April 21, 2016.