- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
With the threat of global warming, increased environmental pollution, and the depletion of our natural resources, more people are taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint and make positive changes for a cleaner world.
In honor of Earth Day on April 22, here is a list of 10 celebrities contributing to the "green efforts" by supporting eco-friendly organizations and educating others about sustainable choices.
10. Josh Hartnett is involved with Global Cool, an organization that targets trendsetters to show people that greener lifestyles can be cool, fun and fashionable.
9. Salma Hayek drives a hybrid and lives in a solar-powered home. She is a member of Global Green USA, which advocates for solutions to global warming, green building projects and environmental challenges around the world.
8. Stella McCartney is making the runway a little greener. A percentage of her designer collections consist of organic and recycled materials. She never uses animal products and limits conventional dyes.
7. Jessica Alba helps raise awareness about toxic chemicals hidden in everyday products in conjunction with the group, Safer Chemicals Healthy Families. She also offers tips to help families lead a more eco-friendly lifestyle in her book, The Honest Life.
6. Jack Johnson contributes to the Australian Marine Conservation Society, which works to protect ocean wildlife and their homes. He donates concert tickets to the charity’s volunteers.
5. Sting hosts an annual benefit concert to raise money for The Rainforest Foundation, an organization he and his wife co-founded in 1989.
4. John Mayer works with the environmental group, Reverb. With their help, he created his own brand, AKOG (Another Kind of Green). His green musical tours promote environmental awareness and sustainability.
3. Matt Damon is passionate about clean drinking water. He cofounded the nonprofit organization, Water.org in 2009, which helps get clean water to poor countries. He also launched a campaign urging people to invest in reusable water bottles.
2. Leonardo DiCaprio supports many charities and continues to educate people on environmental issues and green living. He won the International Green Film Award for his movie, The 11th Hour.
1. Bono supports numerous charities and does his part to help make the world a better place. Proceeds from sales of his EDUN brand of organic clothing benefit the Wildlife Conservation Society which is committed to saving wildlife and their habitats around the world. He has received three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Inspired now? If so, here are a few tips from celebrities on how you can make a difference too.