- Special Features
Blogs & Columns
- Fun & Games
Whether your summer started two days ago or starts in two weeks, there are about three long months of sunshine ahead, and how will you spend it? Will this be a summer full of adventure or full of movie-marathons and boredom? The days are getting longer and there’s just that much more time to spend having the best summer of your life. Start getting some ideas now, and make this the summer you won’t forget! Summer 2013…get ready because here comes the top 10 countdown of things you should do this summer to make it the best one yet. All of these activities can be done at any age, whether it's with friends, old high school buddies, college pals, work friends, neighbors, as date nights or with the whole family. Cheers to making the most of it, no matter how old you are.
10. Do something excitingly dangerous: try rock climbing or bungee jumping, or start with something smaller like eating a corn dog. There's no feeling like an adrenaline rush to start off the summer or finish it with a bang. Courage, my friend. You can do it!
9. Have a REAL movie night at home: theatre style. Get a projector, put it in your backyard and hang up a sheet to display the movie on. Bring down the patio furniture or lay down some blankets and splurge on the movie-theatre butter popcorn and candy snack combo for a sweet and salty night of fun.
8. Day at the lake/beach etc: Beaches and summer were meant for each other, you really can’t have one without the other. Spend a day with whoever you want, swimming in the water and playing/laying in the sand together and leave feeling sun-kissed and calm, and ready for a nap.
7. Have a block party: Whether you're close with your neighbors or not, there's nothing like a good old get together with food, music, and friends. Can you say BBQ? Grab some delicious food, spend time with people outside, and get to know that mysterious neighbor you've never met.
6. Go to a local sports complex: Mini golf, batting cages, and ice-cream? Sounds like a good way to catch some sun, have some fun, work it out and gain it back.
5. Try/learn something new: you will never be bored if you are trying to teach yourself something. Whether it’s tennis, badminton, baseball, darts, gardening, playing guitar, cooking, skateboarding, a new language etc., practicing can only make you better and you will also have a new skill to flaunt in the fall. So get up and do it!
4. Go to a musical festival or concert: Who doesn’t like seeing their favorite band or artist in person? This will get you in a great mood, with some catchy tunes in your head to sing. It’s usually free to see performers at festivals and things of that nature too, so you may not have to break the bank to jam out.
3. Throw a theme party: Go all out. Get extravagant with a Great Gatsby theme, go wild with a jungle theme, get crazy with a sports theme, classy with a Sex and the City theme, or crafty with a Macklemore "Thrift Shop" inspired theme. Pick anything you want and have a great time, with great people, themed costumes, music, and food.
2.Go to an amusement park: Ride everything. Period. Yes, the lines can be long but make it worth it and try every ride in the park. This may be a two or three day trip, but it could be so amazing. The rush, the food, the games, and thrill, amusement parks are a summer must do.
1. GET OUT OF TOWN: Isn't that what summer is for, vacation? Take some time off and go anywhere you want. Overseas, across the country, to a beach house, to a friend's, just get up and go. Spend some time doing something you don't normally get the chance to do, take a break. Wherever you go, live it up, and have a great summer.