After riots rocked the streets of Baltimore Monday night, the city was mostly quiet on Tuesday when the curfew was enforced.
Reuters noted that very few arrests were made as National Guardsmen and police officers from several districts, enforced the seven-hour curfew.
Commissioner Anthony Batts said that only 10 people had been apprehended.
"The curfew is in fact working," he added.
As previously reported, in the wake of the violence, widespread arson and looting that occurred Monday, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said that a citywide curfew would go into effect Tuesday. She said the 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew would run until Saturday, May 4.
Protests had been taking place all over the city after the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who suffered a spinal injury and slipped into a coma after he was arrested. He died on April 19.
Many protests were held in other cities after Gray’s death as well and law enforcement authorities said that most of those were peaceful.
For more daily news stories follow Michelle on Twitter @PhilaMichelle